pspp-users

Re: Warnings exceed limit

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Warnings exceed limit
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 10:42:24 -0600

This is probably known, but SPSS will stop on some errors. If the GET
DATA command fails, it will stop at the first routine that requires a
dataset. I think it will also stop on a duplicate key when merging files
by a condition.

I don't think it stops on errors like divide-by-zero (i.e., where I've
generated the D-B-Z error in a COMPUTE statement).

I think it would generate warnings if my specification didn't match the
data in a GET DATA statement, and only up to some limit. I agree with
Frans, in a large dataset, this could generate a huge number of
warnings. Missing values are a common problem. I had a problem recently
where I needed to add a BOM to UTF8 data files or else SPSS will
complain each time it reads a wide char (all because some of the survey
3-5!).

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building,
write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone,
comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch
manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for
insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein