pspp-users

Re: pspp: error while writing to output stream error

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: pspp: error while writing to output stream error
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:07:45 -0600

Manos,

When you select Help > About, what version does it say? Because I cannot
replicate your error.

When I use GNU pspp 1.2.0-g0fb4db on Windows 7, I run scatterplot.
Select export, select PDF, choose a filename ("filename"), navigate to
"C:\Users\Amead\Google Drive\Active" (because my filesystem is
different) and click save, it saves. There's no error.

I do get an error if I skip navigating to a writable directory. The
default is "C:\Windows\system32" which is not writable and I get:

error: error opening output file `C:\Windows\system32\filename.pdf':
error while writing to output stream

So, I'm unable to replicate your problem, except when I pick an
unwriteable folder. Are you sure you have permission to write to
"C:\Users\Myname\Onedrive\MyPC\the name of the folder i want\"? And that
"data.pdf" is not write protected?

For example, using some sync software on Windows, I occasionally get
errors if I write a file and then try to access it immediately, because
the sync software has the file open to sync to the cloud.

But the bottom line is that I don't know why you cannot write that file.
I cannot rule out a bug in PSPP, but googling that error (the one I got,
which I'm assuming is the one you are getting) suggests that many
different users using many different kinds of software encounter this
kind of error.

-Alan