pspp-users

Re: how to change the program language

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: how to change the program language
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 11:27:36 -0500

The official PSPP docs say: https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/faq.html#Language

I asked ChatGPT how to apply this to Windows 10 and here's what it said. Obviously, this may not be correct/fully correct.

-Alan

To configure the PSPP interface language on Windows 10, follow these steps:

1. **Open the Control Panel:**
   - Press `Win + R` to open the Run dialog.
   - Type `control` and press Enter.

2. **Change the Region and Language Settings:**
   - Go to **Clock and Region**.
   - Click on **Region**.
   - In the **Formats** tab, click on **Additional settings** if needed to access more detailed settings.
   - Switch to the **Administrative** tab and click on **Change system locale**.
   - Select the desired language (e.g., Portuguese). Click OK and restart your computer if prompted.

3. **Verify the Environment Variable:**
   - Open **File Explorer** and right-click on **This PC**, then select **Properties**.
   - Click on **Advanced system settings**.
   - In the System Properties window, go to the **Advanced** tab and click on **Environment Variables**.
   - In the Environment Variables window, check if there is a variable named `LANG`. If not, click **New** under the System variables section.
   - Set the variable name to `LANG` and the value to `pt_PT` (for Portuguese spoken in Portugal) or `pt_BR` (for Brazilian Portuguese). Click OK to save.

4. **Restart PSPP:**
   - Close PSPP if it is open and then restart it. The interface should now display in the selected language.

This should configure PSPP to display in the language you have set in the Windows environment.

PROMPT

This is advice about a Linux-oriented software package. What advice should I give Windows 10 users?
##
How do I configure the PSPP interface language?
PSPP respects the locale of the environment. So if, for example, your operating system (or the currently logged in user) is set to Portuguese, then that is what PSPP will display.

How you change the environment's locale depends on the operating system. For example, on GNU or on GNU/Linux you could use the command export LANG=pt_PT (for Portuguese spoken in Portugal) or export LANG=pt_BR for Brazillian Portuguese. This should also work for all operating systems which are POSIX compliant. For others, you will have to refer to your OS documentation.