pupa-devel

Re: Normal and rescue mode

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Normal and rescue mode
Date: 29 Sep 2003 00:47:13 +0200

Yoshinori Okuji <address@hidden> writes:

>  --- Marco Gerards <address@hidden> wrote:
> > After playing with PUPA for a while I got really confused.  I've
> > noticed that there is a "rescue mode" and a "normal mode".  It is not
> > clear to me why both modes exist and how modules are loaded into a
> > mode.
>
> As the names suggest, "rescue mode" is for rescue use, and "normal mode" is
> for
> normal use. :)

[...]

Thanks, that makes it clear for me. :)

> > pupa rescue> root (fd0)
> > (fd0): Filesystem is unknown.
> > pupa rescue> ls (fd0)/foo
> > error: unknown filesystem
>
> Umm, that looks like a bug.

I can confirm it is a bug now.  It perfectly works when I'm accessing
it from GNU/Linux the same way.  I'm using real hardware instead of
Bochs, perhaps you haven't tested it on real hardware yet?

[...]

> > Another thing I want to have a look at is ext2fs, can I just copy the
> > driver from GRUB and change the interfaces so it works on PUPA or do
> > you want a rewrite?
>
> It would be a good exercise, but I'd recommend not doing that.
>
> There is a legal problem in stage2/fsys_ext2fs.c in GRUB. That is, the author
> is unknown. Probably it is based on Linux's code, so it might be safe, but if
> we cannot probe that the code is written legally, I assume that there is a
> potential problem.
>
> Therefore, I was planning to rewrite ext2fs support myself, but I couldn't
> have
> time for that. (How much time do you want to have for reinventing a wheel?)
>
> If you write new ext2fs code without using GRUB's, it would be quite helpful
> for both PUPA and GRUB. If you write it for PUPA, it is very easy to
> "backport"
> it to GRUB, I think.

I don't know how much time I have, but it shouldn't be too hard (I
have some experience with filesystems and ext2fs).

I will let you know about this soon.  Until then, can you (or someone
else) please wait with working on this?  Doing double work sucks.

Thanks,
Marco