pygsear-users

[pygsear] RE: Py2exe against a pygsear program fails

From: Lee Harr
Subject: [pygsear] RE: Py2exe against a pygsear program fails
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:23:55 +0000

(posted this to the pygsear mailing list early this morning and have not
 seen it hit the list yet - noticed you have been replying to pygame
 posts this morning :)

Just came through... seems the mail server is kinda laggy.

Here is the email I sent this morning about Pygsear....

I'm trying to use Py2exe with Python 2.3.3 and the binary release of
Py2exe that is on the sourceforge website as of last night 1-9-2004 with
the CVS version of pygsear 0.52+ (a wrapper library for pygame) and the
stable release of both pygame and SDL for Windows.  I'm on a Win32 system
 - Windows XP Pro to be exact.

I've built a simple case that just loads the Game and displays a screen.

Just unpack this zip file http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/python/exeTest.zip

This contains a simple pygsear program based on the How-To but adds
excluding the splash screen to remove the bitmap dependency.

To build with Py2exe (after installing py2exe):

$ cd exeTest
$ python setup.py py2exe
(bunch of log info returned)
$ cd dist/BaseGame
$ BaseGame.exe

When I attempt to run the resulting BaseGame.exe that is produced by
py2exe, I get the following error message back.

---- begin error --

Pygame Parachute Traceback:
  File "pygsear\Drawable.pyc", line 1523, in __init__
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault

way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

--- end error ---

That is a strange place for that error ... looks like it is in
MultiRotated, but your program does not even use anything
from that class...

I've also included a exeTest2.zip that has a very simple pygame program.
That program will convert to an EXE with py2exe so it appears to be
something about pygsear that's interacting strangely.

The pygame sample project is in
http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/python/exeTest2.zip

Does any of this ring a bell or send up flags to someone else before I
start digging significantly deeper.  Py2exe is diffcult code and I'm a
novice in the Python world.

I have never tried py2exe at all ...

You may want to ask this on the pygame list, or even on
comp.lang.python or a py2exe specific list.

Alternately, has anyone used another mechanism to use with pygsear to
distribute a program.  I'm willing to try another tool if py2exe isn't
going to work.  Freeze & Squeeze appear to have been removed from
the standard Python 2.3.3 for Win32 distribution, so I'd have to find
those tools wherever they are hiding.

I think the best bet is for people to just install python and related
packages. If you provide links to the proper files, it is not very
difficult, and you know it works...