qemacs-devel

force target in QEmacs makefile - fatal: not a git repository

From: Piscium
Subject: force target in QEmacs makefile - fatal: not a git repository
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:56:02 +0100

Hi Charlie,

As I said yesterday, I successfully created a personal package for
qemacs for Arch, for github version '5.3alpha'. There were however
harmless messages during the package building.

---
fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
---

There are 6 such pairs of messages in the attached build log. I only
investigated the first pair, and it happens because there is a force
target in the makefile that is called and results in git being called.

The questions are then why is git being called, and if I should make
changes to the package due to that. It seems that the force target's
purpose is to set a FILE with the qemacs version in its name and that
is used in the 'tar' and 'archive' targets - however these last two
targets are not needed to build the package, it seems.

Funny enough, the build log that I sent you yesterday did not have
such 'fatal' messages. The reason is probably that that test build was
done without passing any parameters to './configure' whereas this
other build to create a package has parameters passed to it. This is
how it is called within the Arch package description:

build(){
  cd "$srcdir"/qemacs-$_COMMIT
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-x11 --enable-xv --enable-xshm
--enable-xrender
  make -j1
}

I copied that line where './configure' is called together with its
parameters from the existing (old) AUR package. It is only 4 days
since I started looking at qemacs and I have not yet had the time to
look at the parameters for './configure'. It is on my to do list. I am
mentioning this because it seems that it was the different parameters
that triggered the 'fatal' messages. Probably those parameters are not
optimal.

To recap, the package worked, and I have yet not found any issue with
'5.3alpha' in my extremely limited tests, although there were these
'fatal' harmless messages.

Again, thanks for providing this app to the community. :-)