qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] [RFC 2/2] ARM: KVM: Enable in-kernel timers with user spa

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [RFC 2/2] ARM: KVM: Enable in-kernel timers with user space gic
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 10:06:54 +0100

On 11/02/2016 05:19 PM, Christoffer Dall wrote:
On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 04:40:35PM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 11/01/2016 12:35 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 29 October 2016 at 22:10, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]

+        cpu->timer_irq_level = run->s.regs.timer_irq_level;
+    }
+
      return MEMTXATTRS_UNSPECIFIED;
  }
Does this code do the right thing across a vcpu reset or
a full-system reset?
Good question. I'm not 100% sure - but I don't know for sure whether
it's guaranteed without user space irqchip even.

In essence, the code above merely synchronizes kvm state to qemu
state and is fully unaffected from any reset sequence. This is good,
as the line status is transient. So from a QEMU pov, we really only
copy the state of the vcpu interrupt line into the QEMU interrupt
line. Pulling that line down would be responsibility of the
KVM_ARM_VCPU_INIT ioctl if it also clears the timer registers I
guess.

However, I don't see any clearing of cntv_ctrl inside KVM or from
QEMU. How do we ensure that the irq active bit is off on reset?

In kvm_timer_vcpu_reset we cset cntv_ctl = 0, and that function gets
called from the PSCI handler or whenever userspace calls the set target
ioctl thingy.

Ah, ok, that should pull the "run" line down automatically.

The other part that could get in the way of working system reset is
the interrupt controller emulation itself which resets all internal
irq line state. So on reset we'd always end up with the irq line
down from a gic pov, but with the vtimer line pending or not pending
depending on previous state. I doubt it's really going to hurt
though.
I suppose it should resample the line, but if the GIC clears everything
and the arch timer line goes down, you're in the right starting state
again.  Right?

Yup, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work :). Even if the GIC didn't clear everything things should still just work as long as the timer reset function gets called, as it unconditionally synchronizes the state.

Alex