qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Use of -machine when running via qemu-system-arm

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Use of -machine when running via qemu-system-arm
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 14:38:20 +0100

On 9 April 2018 at 14:35, Ajay Garg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Not sure if this is purely an ARM-related question, but I will be
> grateful if someone could point to some literature that explains what
> difference choosing a  machine makes (when we don't need to have any
> such flag for qemu-system-i386 or qemu-system-x86_64).

Hi; this is a pretty common question, which we talk about on our
wiki page here:
 https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/ARM

The underlying reason why you need this on Arm but not on x86
is that for x86 every single piece of x86 hardware is pretty
much identical. For Arm (as part of its history in the embedded
space) the general rule is that every board is different.

thanks
-- PMM