qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Booting Cortex-M3 Linux kernels in qemu

From: Guenter Roeck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Booting Cortex-M3 Linux kernels in qemu
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:13:31 -0700

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 02:54:33PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:

> Note that for M profile QEMU, the thing you pass to -kernel
> must be be either (a) a raw image file which starts with a
> vector table and is intended to be loaded at address zero,
> or (b) be an ELF file which we will load at whatever address
> it asks, but which must include a vector table at address
> zero, because we don't honour the ELF entrypoint address
> but instead always load the initial SP and PC from the
> vector table.

That was useful.

After hacking qemu to accept the ELF start address and to set
initial_msp to 0 (a whopping 6-line patch), I get a bit further.
The boot now hangs because the devicetree blob is not recognized.
Does qemu load and pass the provided dtb file ? I didn't
immediately find any code doing it for armv7m/an385.

Thanks,
Guenter