qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Booting Cortex-M3 Linux kernels in qemu

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Booting Cortex-M3 Linux kernels in qemu
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 12:13:00 +0100

On 15 June 2018 at 19:13, Guenter Roeck <address@hidden> wrote:
> After hacking qemu to accept the ELF start address and to set
> initial_msp to 0 (a whopping 6-line patch), I get a bit further.
> The boot now hangs because the devicetree blob is not recognized.
> Does qemu load and pass the provided dtb file ? I didn't
> immediately find any code doing it for armv7m/an385.

As you've discovered, we don't. The assumption for M-profile
is that you're just passing us an image file, we don't attempt
to do anything with initrd or dtb. I'm not sure I really want
to get QEMU into the business of being a boot loader for
M-profile (there is enough of a mess with just doing that
for A-profile cores, and most people running code on M-profile
devices aren't running Linux, so there's less justification
for special-casing Linux kernel boots). I would recommend
arranging for the images you want to load to be self-contained
with a vector table (either by having the kernel build process
do that, or with a guest-code wrapper.)

thanks
-- PMM