qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Regression tests for Assembly libraries for Cortex-M: Mor

From: Björn Haase
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Regression tests for Assembly libraries for Cortex-M: More recent qemu versions core-dump or fail with warnings
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 20:20:05 +0200

Thank you peter for your helpful reply!

Maybe I could make some effort of trying to boil down the testsuite code to 16 MByte of memory and use a linker script for one of the larger Cortex-M3 sytems.

>> Also I believe that semihosting will not be supported on any of the native cortex-m machines? Any advice would be very appreciated.
>
>All the cortex-m systems support semihosting. (Note
>that the ABI for M-profile semihosting is not quite
>the same as the A-profile ABI -- it uses a breakpoint
>insn, rather than an SVC insn.) You need to enable
>it with the -semihosting option, and you can't use
>it from non-privileged code (this is the same as the
>A-profile semihosting).

You don't actually know whether someby has actually used this together with the syscall implementations in newlib/libgloss? I somehow fear that my older implementation only did work because it was using the SWI interface ...  However, I have seen that libgloss seems to provide different versions of the "Angel" interface. One of these also seems to use a breakpoint instruction.

Do you know of any publicly available target project that actually uses semihosting on a Cortex-M? This might be a good starting point for analysis.

Thanks again for your advice!

Yours,

Björn.