qemu-arm

Re: Is STM32f429 discovery board fully supported on qemu?

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Is STM32f429 discovery board fully supported on qemu?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 15:42:50 +0100

Hi Liviu,

On 2/6/20 3:34 PM, Liviu Ionescu wrote:
On 6 Feb 2020, at 11:23, Mohannad Maklad <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm trying to emulate STM32F429I discovery board using qemu & eclipse IDE.

I got the blinky example running with the led turning on and off on the
graphics screen but I have tried an example to run the on-board screen and it
doesn't seem to be running, Is it supported?

Also, many drivers fail when simulated with qemu (sdram, rcc, ...) How can I
know exactly what peripherals that are fully supported?

If you are using the xPack QEMU (formerly GNU MCU Eclipse QEMU), the
documentation page is:

https://xpack.github.io/qemu-arm/

https://xpack.github.io/qemu-arm/#why-xpack-qemu-arm

  "Even more, support for semihosting in the public
  QEMU version was broken, and the verbosity required
  for integration with the QEMU plug-in was missing,
  so it could not be used with the GNU MCU Eclipse
  plug-ins."

Too bad these improvements aren't shared with the whole community.

Note there have been a lot of changes/improvements related to ARM semihosting recently in the mainstream QEMU.

https://xpack.github.io/qemu-arm/#supported-boards-and-mcus

  The boards currently supported by the xPack QEMU Arm are:

    Maple – LeafLab Arduino-style STM32 microcontroller board
    NUCLEO-F103RB – ST Nucleo Development Board for STM32 F1 series
    NetduinoGo – Netduino GoBus Development Board with STM32F4
    NetduinoPlus2 – Netduino Development Board with STM32F4
    STM32-E407 – Olimex Development Board for STM32F407ZGT6
    STM32-H103 – Olimex Header Board for STM32F103RBT6
    STM32-P103 – Olimex Prototype Board for STM32F103RBT6
    STM32-P107 – Olimex Prototype Board for STM32F107VCT6
    STM32F4-Discovery – ST Discovery kit for STM32F407/417 lines
    STM32F429I-Discovery – ST Discovery kit for STM32F429/439 lines

Quite a nice list, it shouldn't require a lot of effort to contribute these boards to the community IMHO.

Regards,

Phil.