[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[PATCH v9 0/9] Clock framework API
[PATCH v9 0/9] Clock framework API
Mon, 6 Apr 2020 15:52:42 +0200
The series has now been fully reviewed and is ready to be merged
(obviously not for 5.0). I did this v9 to fix the small typos
Alistair spotted in the doc. I've also rebased the series on master.
This series aims to add a way to model clock distribution in qemu.
The proposed objet and qdev API allows to model the clock tree of
a platform allowing us to inspect clock configuration and detect
problems such as disabled clock or bad configured pll.
Regarding the internal represention. The precision is huge so that
it is possible (in the future) to somehow connect a ptimer with a
Clock with no loss of precision.
The consequence is that we have a ~4seconds period upper bound only.
Alternatives, allowing us to keep this precision, are to use a
floating point or to extend the integer.
The added clock api is very similar the the GPIO API for devices. We
can add input and output and connect them together.
Now that ressettable API is merged, the clock tree is properly
initialized during the machine reset.
I've tested this patchset running Xilinx's Linux on the xilinx-zynq-a9
machine. Clocks are correctly updated and we ends up with a configured
baudrate of 115601 on the console uart (for a theoretical 115200)
which is nice. "cadence_uart*" and "clock*" traces can be enabled to
see what's going on in this platform.
Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.
The patches are organised as follows:
+ Patches 1 to 4 adds the clock support in qemu
+ Patch 5 adds some documentation in docs/devel
+ Patches 6 to 8 adds the uart's clocks to the xilinx_zynq platform
as an example for this framework. It updates the zynq's slcr clock
controller, the cadence_uart device, and the zynq toplevel platform.
+ Patch 9 adds clock info to monitor "info qtree" command
Changes since v8:
- typos in patch 5 (Alistair)
Changes since v7:
- rst errors in doc
- Alistair's comments on patch 1 and 3
Changes since v6:
- switch from frequency to period based clock state
- single Clock type (no more ClockIn and ClockOut)
- doc converted in rst format (Peter)
- various fixes (Peter and Philippe)
- better migration support for zynq devices (Peter)
Thanks to the Xilinx QEMU team who sponsored this development.
Damien Hedde (9):
hw/core/clock: introduce clock object
hw/core/clock-vmstate: define a vmstate entry for clock state
qdev: add clock input&output support to devices.
qdev-clock: introduce an init array to ease the device construction
docs/clocks: add device's clock documentation
hw/misc/zynq_slcr: add clock generation for uarts
hw/char/cadence_uart: add clock support
hw/arm/xilinx_zynq: connect uart clocks to slcr
qdev-monitor: print the device's clock with info qtree
docs/devel/clocks.rst | 360 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
docs/devel/index.rst | 1 +
include/hw/char/cadence_uart.h | 1 +
include/hw/clock.h | 225 +++++++++++++++++++++
include/hw/qdev-clock.h | 159 +++++++++++++++
include/hw/qdev-core.h | 12 ++
hw/arm/xilinx_zynq.c | 57 +++++-
hw/char/cadence_uart.c | 73 ++++++-
hw/core/clock-vmstate.c | 25 +++
hw/core/clock.c | 130 ++++++++++++
hw/core/qdev-clock.c | 185 +++++++++++++++++
hw/core/qdev.c | 12 ++
hw/misc/zynq_slcr.c | 172 +++++++++++++++-
qdev-monitor.c | 9 +
hw/char/trace-events | 3 +
hw/core/Makefile.objs | 2 +
hw/core/trace-events | 7 +
tests/Makefile.include | 1 +
18 files changed, 1412 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 docs/devel/clocks.rst
create mode 100644 include/hw/clock.h
create mode 100644 include/hw/qdev-clock.h
create mode 100644 hw/core/clock-vmstate.c
create mode 100644 hw/core/clock.c
create mode 100644 hw/core/qdev-clock.c
- [PATCH v9 0/9] Clock framework API,
Damien Hedde <=
- [PATCH v9 2/9] hw/core/clock-vmstate: define a vmstate entry for clock state, Damien Hedde, 2020/04/06
- [PATCH v9 3/9] qdev: add clock input&output support to devices., Damien Hedde, 2020/04/06
- [PATCH v9 1/9] hw/core/clock: introduce clock object, Damien Hedde, 2020/04/06
- [PATCH v9 4/9] qdev-clock: introduce an init array to ease the device construction, Damien Hedde, 2020/04/06
- [PATCH v9 5/9] docs/clocks: add device's clock documentation, Damien Hedde, 2020/04/06
- Re: [PATCH v9 5/9] docs/clocks: add device's clock documentation, Peter Maydell, 2020/04/17