qemu-arm

Re: Role of qemu-arm

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Role of qemu-arm
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:57:31 +0100

vincent Dupaquis <v.dupaquis@trusted-objects.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
>     I am using qemu for doing simulations of code, and currently find
> qemu-system-arm convienient.
>
>     But, I cannot understand how to use qemu-arm. In fact, what I am
> searching for is a way of simulating only the ARM core, not any
> peripherals.

There are two modes:

  - system emulation (CPU + board and peripherals)
  - linux-user (CPU but with a Linux syscall interface)

> I can work with qemu-system-arm, and could not find a way
> to use qemu-arm.

If you are installing via your distros package manager you probably want
a package called qemu-user. You can build the only the user-mode
packages by issuing --disable-system to the configure script.

The closest thing to being a "pure" just the CPU is probably a
standalone usermode binary that uses semihosting calls rather than a
libc/syscall interface.

--
Alex Bennée