qemu-arm

Re: Purpose of QOM properties registered at realize time?

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: Purpose of QOM properties registered at realize time?
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 11:51:05 -0400

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 04:54:31PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 07/10/20 16:27, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> >> It is always wrapped, but (as far as I recall, because I have never
> >> worked with GPIOs) they are intentionally QOM properties and not just as
> >> an implementation detail.  It's meant to be accessible to the user if
> >> only through qom-get/qom-set.
> >
> > Being accessible for debugging would be OK.  I'm just worried
> > about dynamic QOM properties being part of a stable and supported
> > API.
>
> Certainly accessing the properties is only for debugging.
>
> However, I am not sure if the _existence_ of GPIOs as dynamic QOM
> properties is part of the API; that is, whether the user has to specify
> the names of these properties to create some devices.  I don't think
> that wouldn't be a problem anyway, what do you think?

Right now, I only want to know if the QOM property is part of a
supported stable external interface.  For the properties
registered at realize time, the answer seems to be "no".

Later, I might want to locate internal users of those QOM
properties too, to be able to refactor the code if necessary.

--
Eduardo