qemu-arm

Re: arm: "max" CPU class hierarchy changes possible?

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: arm: "max" CPU class hierarchy changes possible?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:21:17 +0100

On 3/11/21 4:02 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 at 14:27, Claudio Fontana <cfontana@suse.de> wrote:
>> the "max" cpu in x86 and s390 is a class,
>>
>> and then "host" has "max" as parent.
>>
>> This would be a convenient setup for ARM too, as it would allow to put
>> common code between kvm and tcg in the "max" class,
>> and allow "host" to specialize the behavior for KVM (and in the future HVF
>> probably).
>>
>> Would changing the class hierarchy this way be acceptable, cause any
>> problems?
>
> It's not clear to me why 'host' would be a subtype of 'max':
> that doesn't seem like an obvious relationship.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

If there is no blocker on _any_ change to the hierarchy I will put it in the
RFC series,
so we can discuss the merits there and investigate alternatives,
if there is no immediate blocker to any change in the object hierarchy.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-03/msg03864.html

Thanks,

CLaudio