qemu-arm

Re: Emulation of armv7+e1000e+/dev/sda or /dev/mmcblk0 devices

From: steve freyder
Subject: Re: Emulation of armv7+e1000e+/dev/sda or /dev/mmcblk0 devices
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 16:21:11 -0500

On 4/18/2021 12:37 AM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
Hi Steve,

On 4/18/21 3:42 AM, steve freyder wrote:
Greetings qemu-arm group,

I'm a new qemu-arm list member and looking to get an emulation of an
armv7 processor with a PCI bus, supporting an e1000e NIC, and some form
of storage device preferably SATA and [e]MMC - I have an iMX6 SOM custom
board with an e1000e on the carrier board via PCI that I'm attempting to
approximate.  I want to boot U-Boot (I've built U-Boot 5.2 with support
for MMC, SATA, and e100e networking).
Did you look at the SABRE Lite board (which use a i.MX6) as a start?
https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/arm/sabrelite.html

  I have the "virt" machine able to
boot U-Boot and see the e1000e, but I have found nothing that allows the
booted U-Boot see any MMC or SATA devices.  All attempts to use -sd, or
-drive to create some kind of MMC/SATA device have failed with what
appear to be (as I have been able to understand) the standard reasons,
missing busses, missing properties, etc, etc. A majority of searches
result in documentation from developers that's 5-10 or more years old,
so I'm hard-pressed to determine whether this is my own lack of
knowledge (probably YES), or whether I'm simply looking at stuff that's
been overcome by events.

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum for this, and
will happily take this to a different forum, but is there any chance
someone could give me a clue about the right way to look at all of this,
and whether there's any machine or system definition out there that
would support (or be a starting point for supporting) what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Philippe,

Thanks for the quick answer, yes, I did try the sabrelite, but when I attempted to add a SATA controller or an E1000 it complained that there was no PCI bus.