Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Proposed qcow2 extension: subcluster

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Proposed qcow2 extension: subcluster allocation
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 16:27:35 +0200

Am 13.04.2017 um 16:15 hat Alberto Garcia geschrieben:
> On Thu 13 Apr 2017 03:51:55 PM CEST, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> >> This invariant is already broken by the very design of the qcow2
> >> format, subclusters don't really add anything new there. For any
> >> given cluster size you can write 4k in every odd cluster, then do the
> >> same in every even cluster, and you'll get an equally fragmented
> >> image.
> >
> > Because this scenario has appeared repeatedly in this thread: Can we
> > please use a more realistic one that shows an actual problem? Because
> > with 8k or more for the cluster size you don't get any qcow2
> > fragmentation with 4k even/odd writes (which is a pathological case
> > anyway), and the file systems are clever enough to cope with it, too.
> >
> > Just to confirm this experimentally, I ran this short script:

> > #!/bin/bash
> > ./qemu-img create -f qcow2 /tmp/test.qcow2 64M
> >
> > echo even blocks
> > for i in $(seq 0 32767); do echo "write $((i * 8))k 4k"; done | ./qemu-io
> > /tmp/test.qcow2 > /dev/null
> > echo odd blocks
> > for i in $(seq 0 32767); do echo "write $((i * 8 + 4))k 4k"; done |
> > ./qemu-io /tmp/test.qcow2 > /dev/null
> >
> > ./qemu-img map /tmp/test.qcow2
> > filefrag -v /tmp/test.qcow2
>
> But that's because while you're writing on every other 4k block the
> cluster size is 64k, so you're effectively allocating clusters in
> sequential order. That's why you get this:
>
> > Offset          Length          Mapped to       File
> > 0               0x4000000       0x50000         /tmp/test.qcow2
>
> You would need to either have 4k clusters, or space writes even more.
>
> Here's a simpler example, mkfs.ext4 on an empty drive gets you something
> like this:
> [...]

My point wasn't that qcow2 doesn't fragment, but that Denis and you were
both using a really bad example. You were trying to construct an
artificially bad image and you actually ended up constructing a perfect
one.

> Now, I haven't measured the effect of this on I/O performance, but
> Denis's point seems in principle valid to me.

In principle yes, but especially his fear of host file system
fragmentation seems a bit exaggerated. If I use 64k even/odd writes in
the script, I end up with a horribly fragmented qcow2 image, but still
perfectly contiguous layout of the image file in the file system.

We can and probably should do something about the qcow2 fragmentation
eventually (I guess a more intelligent cluster allocation strategy could
go a long way there), but I wouldn't worry to much about the host file
system.

Kevin