Re: [Qemu-block] [Libguestfs] v2v: -o rhv-upload: Long time spent zeroin

From: Nir Soffer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Libguestfs] v2v: -o rhv-upload: Long time spent zeroing the disk
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 15:31:05 +0000

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 6:00 PM Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
>> When the destination is a block device we cannot avoid zeroing since a block
>> device may contain junk data (we usually get dirty empty images from our
>> local
>> xtremio server).
>
> (Off topic for qemu-block but ...)  We don't have enough information
> at our end to know about any of this.

Yep, see my other email about a possible NBD protocol extension to
actually let the client learn up-front if the exported device is known
to start in an all-zero state.

In the future we can report all-zero state in OPTIONS, but since this
info is already known on engine side when creating a disk, I think reporting
it in engine is better.

Nir