[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 1/4] docs/interop/qcow2: Improve bitmap flag
Re: [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 1/4] docs/interop/qcow2: Improve bitmap flag in_use specification
Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:00:54 -0500
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.5.1
On 3/11/19 1:51 PM, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
> We already use (we didn't notice it) IN_USE flag for marking bitmap
> metadata outdated, such as AUTO flag, which mirrors enabled/disabled
> bitmaps. No we are going to support bitmap resize, so it's good to
> write IN_USE meaning with more details.
> Signed-off-by: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy <address@hidden>
> docs/interop/qcow2.txt | 18 +++++++++++++++---
> 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
> diff --git a/docs/interop/qcow2.txt b/docs/interop/qcow2.txt
> index fb5cb47245..575a5f25e2 100644
> --- a/docs/interop/qcow2.txt
> +++ b/docs/interop/qcow2.txt
> @@ -589,7 +589,19 @@ Structure of a bitmap directory entry:
> 0: in_use
> The bitmap was not saved correctly and may be
> - inconsistent.
> + inconsistent. This inconsitency may touch both
> + data and metadata, and this mean that bitmap state
> + (its data and metadata) was changed but not stored
> + back to the image. This flag doesn't relate to
> + corruption, all fields are still correct from qcow2
> + point of view, they just may be outdated.
> + Note: Currently, Qemu may change (additionally to
> + bitmap data) @auto flag and size of the bitmap
> + image resize. This mean, that not only bitmap data
> + may be outdated if @in_use flag set, but also value
> + @auto flag and bitmap size (which is indirectly
> + referenced by @bitmap_table_size).
Feels wordy. Maybe drop the second paragraph starting with Note, and
merely use this for the first paragraph:
The bitmap was not saved correctly and may be inconsistent. Although the
bitmap metadata is still well-formed from a qcow2 perspective, the
metadata (such as the auto flag or bitmap size) or data contents may be
> 1: auto
> The bitmap must reflect all changes of the virtual
> @@ -717,8 +729,8 @@ corresponding range of the virtual disk (see above) was
> written to while the
> bitmap was 'enabled'. An unset bit means that this range was not written to.
> The software doesn't have to sync the bitmap in the image file with its
> -representation in RAM after each write. Flag 'in_use' should be set while the
> -bitmap is not synced.
> +representation in RAM after each write or metadata change. Flag 'in_use'
> +should be set while the bitmap is not synced.
> In the image file the 'enabled' state is reflected by the 'auto' flag. If
> flag is set, the software must consider the bitmap as 'enabled' and start
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 0/4] block/qcow2-bitmap: Enable resize with persistent bitmaps, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy, 2019/03/11
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 1/4] docs/interop/qcow2: Improve bitmap flag in_use specification, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy, 2019/03/11
- Re: [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 1/4] docs/interop/qcow2: Improve bitmap flag in_use specification,
Eric Blake <=
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 2/4] block/qcow2-bitmap: Don't check size for IN_USE bitmap, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy, 2019/03/11
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 3/4] block/qcow2-bitmap: Allow resizes with persistent bitmaps, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy, 2019/03/11
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v2 4/4] tests/qemu-iotests: add bitmap resize test 246, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy, 2019/03/11
- Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 0/4] block/qcow2-bitmap: Enable resize with persistent bitmaps, John Snow, 2019/03/12