Re: [RFC] error: auto propagated local_err

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [RFC] error: auto propagated local_err
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 16:34:41 +0200

Am 19.09.2019 um 16:13 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
> [...]
> > we may report it or let the caller decide or ...)
> >
> > Callee: we want a SINGLE paradigm:
> >
> > func (Error **errp)
> > {
> >      MAKE_ERRP_SAFE();
> >
> >      now we can pass errp to any child function, test '*errp', or do
> > anything else, and we DON'T have to call error_propagate.
> >
> > I think that means we need:
> >
> > #define MAKE_ERRP_SAFE() \
> >    g_auto(...) __auto_errp = { .errp = errp }; \
> >    do { \
> >      if (!errp || errp == &error_fatal) { errp = &__auto_errp.local; } \
> >    } while (0)
> >
> > So back to the caller semantics:
> >
> > if the caller passed NULL, we've redirected errp locally so that we can
> > use *errp at will; the auto-cleanup will free our local error.
> >
> > if the caller passed &error_abort, we keep errp unchanged.  *errp tests
> > will never trigger, because we'll have already aborted in the child on
> > the original errp, giving developers the best stack trace.
> >
> > if the caller passed &error_fatal, we redirect errp.  auto-cleanup will
> > then error_propagate that back to the caller, producing as much nice
> > information as possible.
> >
> > if the caller passed anything else, we keep errp unchanged, so no extra
> > error_propagate in the mix.
> >

> >> So I'd really like to restrict the use of error_propagate() to places
> >> where it's absolutely necessary. Unless, of course, you can fix these
> >> practical problems that error_propagate() causes for debugging.
> >>
> >> In fact, in the context of Greg's series, I think we really only need to
> >> support hints for error_fatal, which are cases that users are supposed
> >> to see. We should exclude error_abort in MAKE_ERRP_SAFE() because these
> >> are things that are never supposed to happen. A good stack trace is more
> >> important there than adding a hint to the message.
> >
> > We also want to handle the caller passing NULL, so that we no longer
> > have to introduce 'Error *local_error = NULL' everywhere.
> >

> With my plan of two different macro, I at least messed the case when we need
> both dereferencing and hints, which means third macro, or one macro with
> parameters,
> saying what to wrap.
>
> And my aim was to follow the idea of "do propagation only if it really
> necessary in this case".
>
> But may be you are right, and we shouldn't care so much.
>
> 1. What is bad, if we wrap NULL, when we only want to use hints?
> Seems nothing. Some extra actions on error path, but who cares about it?
>
> 2. What is bad, if we wrap error_fatal, when we only want to dereference, and
> don't use hints?
> Seems nothing again, on error path we will return from higher level, and a
> bit of extra work, but nothing worse..
>
> So I tend to agree. But honestly, I didn't understand first part of Kevin's
> paragraph against propagation,
> so, may be he have more reasons to minimize number of cases when we propagate.

I think my concerns were really only about error_abort and "normal"
non-NULL errp losing some information about the origin of the error. And
from this thread, it seems that I misremebered and the normal one is
actually supposed to just work.

In any case, wrapping NULL and error_fatal should be fine, so I agree
that a single macro should do.

> To the same topic, of minimization: should we always call MAKE_ERRP_SAFE at
> function top, or only
> in block, where it is needed (assume, we dereference it only inside some "if"
> or "while"?

Hm, I think it's more obviously correct if done at the top, but I also
can't see any reason why using it only in a block wouldn't work. So I'd
put it at the top just as a matter of style.

> Kevin, is something bad in propagation, when it not related to error_abort?

Probably not, unless I didn't misremember, but we misread the code.

Kevin