Re: Insufficiently documented deprecated command arguments

From: Peter Krempa
Subject: Re: Insufficiently documented deprecated command arguments
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 13:55:48 +0100

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:32:10 +0000, Daniel Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 01:24:17PM +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > Am 11.12.2019 um 11:51 hat Peter Krempa geschrieben:
> > > On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 11:14:39 +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:

[...]

> > > Well, in some specific cases we could detect the node names
> > > auto-assigned by qemu and use them instead of paths, but in my opinion
> > > it's not worth the effort and extra code.
> >
> > Well, the question is what to do on the QEMU side then. Deprecation
> > should mean that we have a plan for removing the feature. If we're
> > planning to keep the feature indefinitely because libvirt needs it, we
> > might want to consider removing the deprecation notice.
>
> Ideally libvirt would stop using -drive entirely, as I hate the idea of
> having to keep this around indefinitely in libvirt too. This needs QEMU
> to close the last gaps wrt SD cards

Yes and also give us guidance how to convert it. Looking at the code
didn't help. There's a plethora of controllers and options to configure
without clear indication what is default behaviour expected.

Trying to convert it blindly would end up worse than just ditching
support for sdcards altogehter.