Re: [RFC qemu 0/6] mirror: implement incremental and bitmap modes

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [RFC qemu 0/6] mirror: implement incremental and bitmap modes
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 15:23:43 +0200

Am 03.09.2020 um 14:57 hat Max Reitz geschrieben:
> On 03.09.20 14:38, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> >>
> >> I’m not too sure on the proceedings, actually.  I think it should be
> >> fine if you put his S-o-b there, as long as your patch is somehow based
> >> on a patch that he sent earlier with his S-o-b underneath.  But I’m not
> >> sure.
> >
> > Signed-off-by means that John certifies the DCO for the patch (at least
> > the original version that you possibly modified), so you cannot just add
> > it without asking him.
>
> But what if you take a patch from someone and heavily modify it –
> wouldn’t you keep the original S-o-b and explain the modifications in
> the commit message?

Ah, if that patch already had a S-o-b, then yes. You keep it not only to
show who touched the patch, but also because your own S-o-b depends on
the one from the original author (you only have the rights to contribute
it because the original author had them and could pass them on to you).

I thought it was based on a patch that came without S-o-b.

Kevin