Re: [PULL 0/4] Python patches

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/4] Python patches
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 14:02:43 -0500

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 1:01 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 at 17:46, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Just so I don't leave this thread hanging, I filed a GitLab issue and
> > I'm working on it, but this one isn't as quick to solve as the other.
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/874
>
> Is there anything particular to NetBSD that means it happens
> more often there, or is it just random luck that we hit
> the race there and haven't seen it elsewhere ?
>
> -- PMM

Complete random luck, something jostled loose by the scheduler.

I need to change the interface in the async library entirely to make
the process more granular -- We don't need the granularity in a truly
async mode, but the sync wrapper that allows the existing iotests
corpus to use the library in a synchronous manner *requires* a more
granular connection API, so I have to write one. It's in progress, it
just might be a few more days; verifying and testing the error
pathways has been slow work.

(In detail: python's asyncio.create_unix_server() call combines bind()
+ listen() + accept() into a single discrete step. A synchronous
client, though, needs to have a reprieve from all of those blocking
steps to launch the QEMU process after listen() but before accept() so
it can launch the QEMU process. I was able to pull the bind() step
out, but the async listen() + accept() steps the way I initially wrote
it are inseparable. Live and learn.)

In the meantime, there *IS* a way to use the old library, but I don't
think the environment variable in question is routed down into the VM
tests. I can look at (as a very quick fix) amending the VM launcher to
pass along that environment variable if it sees it set in the host
environment -- that should get you on the old, tried-and-true library
when you want it, and the test should pass.

--js