qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Interpreter for QEMU

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Interpreter for QEMU
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:46:47 +0100

It would be interesting to find a way to generate both the dynamic translator and the interepreter from the same description. I see that you are using ML to generate the interpreter. This is an original choice!

It is true that a solution must be found to accelerate the DOS programs, especially when soft mmu is not in use. [When soft mmu is in use, it is possible to examine exactly each write access to see if the translated code is modified with a byte granularity].

Fabrice.

malc wrote:
Hello,

http://www.boblycat.org/~malc/1_iqemu.patch.gz conatains patch against CVS
version of QEMU that adds interpreted i386 target. Im hoping that someone
more apt than me can somehow breed it together with dynamic translator, so
that QEMU will be more viable for DOS emulation (interpreter can help some
with self-modifying code (so loved by DOS programmers) and/or highly
interleaved code/data, when host'spage faults take too much time)

I was able to boot FreeDOS and run some applications with this purely
interpreted target, though apparently there are still some bugs lurking.

To apply the patch:
$ cd cvs/version/of/qemu
$ zcat patch/location/1_iqemu.patch.gz | patch -p1
$ ./configure --target-list="i386-softmmu i386-interp"
$ gmake

Note that: interpreter is currently x86 specific and there is no FPU
support whatsoever.

Sincerely,
malc