qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix boot attempt fails - "BIOS panic in rombios.c,

From: matthias jahn
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix boot attempt fails - "BIOS panic in rombios.c, line 1558"
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:22:23 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 12. November 2003 02:57 schrieb Leigh Dyer:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 12:39, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> > Leigh Dyer wrote:
> > > I also tried a self-built OpenBSD 3.4 CD, though it complains
> > > relatively early in the boot process that it can't find /dev/console.
> >
> > Do you try qemu-fast or qemu ? Can you record a log of the boot process
> >   (at least a screen shot) ?
>
> This was using qemu - I took a couple of screenshots, which show the two
> pages of output that I got when booting the OpenBSD CD:
>
> http://gir.eclinic.com.au/~lsd/qemu/obsd/obsd-boot-1.png
> http://gir.eclinic.com.au/~lsd/qemu/obsd/obsd-boot-2.png
>
> I have to say that I haven't actually tested my OpenBSD ISO on a real
> machine, and it does fail to boot properly on bochs as well (though much
> later in the boot sequence). It does work on Virtual PC on my Powerbook
> though, so I _think_ it's okay.
>
> >  > I've got a
> >  > few versions of Windows kicking around too - I'll give them a shot
> >  > shortly.
> >
> > I have almost finished the task switch emulation (this is the last
> > painful x86 emulation code). Once it is commited, Windows support will
> > become possible.
>
> That's great to hear :) Just for a laugh, I tried booting a Windows 98
> CD, which effectively means booting MS-DOS, and after the initial boot
> menu screens (selecing whether to boot from hdd or CD, and what mode to
> boot the CD in) I got a lot of:
>
> qemu: unsupported keyboard cmd=0xff
>
> messages in my terminal, and then qemu segfaulted.
if you type f8 and keep himem.sys form loading then you get up clearly! :-)

And what suirprise:
        Wenn you reboot (ctrl+alt+remove) after get up a dos boot disk you do
not
        need to remove the himem.sys. (but still not working.)

CD -Support broken?
        I can boot nearly every Boot-Cd i have tryed (Knoppix, Debian-Install,
Suse,
Windows98, Dos-BootCD, NowelDos-BootCD).
        But after booting the Bootimage on CD they all faild to find the CD
Device
for loading/mounting.

Thanks
Matthias Jahn