qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation on Qemu

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation on Qemu
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:08:57 +1100

> Well, I did look a lot MOL code but didn't use it for now. I won't reuse
> MOL OF code, because I don't want to have hardcoded stuffs, but
> something that acts really like the open-firmware and will be able to
> boot any OS, just like Bochs BIOS does for PC's.

Latest "devel" tree from Samuel started integrating OpenBIOS in MOL
(that is a full OF implementation).

> But emulated hardware from MOL will be helpfull someday. For now, I want
> to concentrate on booting Linux for Prep hardware. Because it's mainly a
> PC with a PPC CPU, it's a real good target to debug CPU emulation
> problems without taking care of emulated hardware.

It's also the shitties PPC hardware out there ;) Instane memory map

> Then, I want a standard and nowedays PPC platform, not only Macs, nea
> OpenPPC standard.

What is OpenPPC standard ? So far, the most "standard" PPCs are
PowerMacs ;)

> So I did an open-pic emulation, ... MOL code will be helpfull
> to emulate some Mac platforms, but as it says, it seems to me that's
> it's too much Mac & MacOS dedicated to help until I got full stable
> basics.

It can run the linux kernel as well. It's oriented toward emulation
speed though. It has this nice "OSI" calls mecanism that allows
cross call from within the emulated environment to the emulator
linux-side. That along with host-side drivers using these calls
allows significant perfs. improvements for things like disk
access, sound, etc... but that's all optional.

Ben