qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Morphix booting in 1024x768 resolution and Win32 questi

From: Markus Niemistö
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Morphix booting in 1024x768 resolution and Win32 questions
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:38:41 +0200

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:16:09 +0100
Jean-Michel POURE <address@hidden> wrote:

> I found an answer in the Bochs manual:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /sbin/ifconfig $1 192.168.0.101
>
> Is that right?

Looks right, altough 192.168.x.x addresses don't seem to work for me.

If you are intrested, here is a step-by-step instructions to run xterm
from linux-test distribution (take a network connection from quest to
host):

1) Download and extract linux-test package from QEMU homepage

2) Configure your kernel to support tun and tap (see bochs manual)

3) Create a network script; put the following lines to the
/etc/qemu-ifup file:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/ifconfig $1 172.20.0.1

and make the file executable: chmod 755 /etc/qemu-ifup

4) Start X server with TCP listening turned on: startx -listen_tcp

5) Allow X connections from 172.20.0.2 (the quest). Run:

xhost +172.20.0.2

6) Run QEMU with linux-test distribution:

qemu -hda /tmp/linux-test/linux.img

7) Setup DISPLAY variable in quest. Type in linux-test prompt:

export DISPLAY=172.20.0.1:0

8) Run xterm from the quest:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

You can also ping 172.20.0.1 or run xlogo or whatever

And voilá! You have an xterm running in QEMU but it is displayed on your
host's X server. Network works! I have to run QEMU as root, so if this
doesn't work, try running QEMU as root.

So what really happens is that you see the QEMU quest as 172.20.0.2 and
it sees your computer as 172.20.0.1.

The following is untested but AFAIK it should work. In order to access
the Internet from the QEMU quest, set the gateway and nameserver of the
host to the gateway and nameserver you normally use on your computer.
You may have to do some additional route configuration, but I am not
sure (and cannot help you with that becouse I don't know that much
about Linux).

I hope this made everything clear.

Happy hacking,

Markus