qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu workstation

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu workstation
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:28:16 +0400

Richard Zidlicky wrote:
On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:49:51PM +0100, Jamie Burns wrote:

I am not sure that handling multiple VMs running at the same time is
very useful (some architectural changes are needed in QEMU). But
switching easily between VM configurations seems interesting.

I think that multiple VM's is a worthy goal as long as you can minimise CPU
usage. Having multiple VM's gives you the ability to do some very cool
things. I use VMWARE in Windows and sometimes have both Linux and FreeBSD
running in VM's so I can test software against all 3 OS's at once. I imagine
it would be very useful to developers of cluster software.

I tried the Win32 port the other day, running Linux, and it sat using 100%
of the CPU whilst doing next to nothing at a command prompt. Using VMWARE,
and waiting at a command prompt uses very little CPU time.

Is QEMU sat in a busy loop all the time?

it is not QEMU but the hosted OS that is in the busy loop. QEMU
will have to recognise "idle loops" to fix this - this could be
really tricky.

I guess if QEMU emulates the hlt instruction and the OS supports it then it's
pretty easy.
I note above it said running linux, which does idle nicely when the hlt instruction is present, perhaps there is a not too difficult way for intelligent OS's. DOS is a lost cause however.

Brad