qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re:Re: PowerPC system emulation status

From: nldudok1
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re:Re: PowerPC system emulation status
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:54:15 +0200

Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
>On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 22:42, nldudok1 wrote:
>> Can anybody (Jocelyn ?) tell me the status and availability of the
>> powerpc system emulation?
>
>for now, I'm fighting to merge latest changes from CVS.
>I want to submit a big set of patches for next qemu version...
>Current CVS cannot launch PPC systems.
Very nice. With the next do you mean the just released 0.53 ?

>> I found out there is not yet a powerpcbios and tried to use the
>> openfirmware image and linux kernel from my rs6000 ( a 7043-140 prep
>> machine running debian)
>> (IBM openfirmware for rs6000 machines can be downloaded at
>> http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/mdownload/download.html)
>
>Thanks for this tip !
>I fetched the whole CDROM, and I'll try to add a correct OpenBIOS loader
>as soon as possible.
Thanks

>> With a little luck some day Qemu should be able to run a linux kernel
>> and a complete partition dump of my rs6000 prep debianppc installation.
>> (This would include a working mac-on-linux
>
>Yes, this will be possible when the MMU emulation will be fixed.
>I still have some crashes when my initial shell forks, so it's quite
>"difficult" to launch a real distribution.
>Could you build a tiny system disks for me to test more on your PREP
>machine ?
I will try. It will allways be a multiple disks set for my machine.
The 7043-140 has only a few boot options:
1:floppy with kernel raw on the floppy
2:floppy with msdos filesystem with a zImage file on it
3:special prep boot partition on harddisk. A specially formatted zImage is copied (with dd) to this partition which is really a file The kernel parameters are hardcoded in the zImage, The kernel itsself prompts the user for optional modifications during boot.
This machine does NOT support normal bootloaders
4:cdrom in special prep format, couldn't find documentation on this, only a reference to cdrecord which supposedly has documented this
5:networkboot

I have only got 1,3 and 5 to work
(lots of information on this on http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/distros.php )

So if I make a modified zImage kernel which loads a rootdisk and put this on a floppy
I should be able to make/use a pretty straightforward busybox rootdisk
(I haven't build a busibox rootdisk before)
If you already build such a rootdisk (or just the executables) I could try if it works.

>I'd like to be have a static busybox disk and a dynamic one.
>For now, I build cross-compiled images and this can be another source
>of problems...
>I'd also like to have a real kernel configuration for PREP.
My config is based on the ones below (The ones below work, I changed my config a few times and my current one doesn't work well. I have several old ones but can't find out which one was good and which one crashed. To just use the ones below is saver.)
Patches, kernel configuration and already build kernels be found at:
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/distros.php
check out the files section:
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/

config, patches, vmlinux and zImage of kernel 2.4.19-2
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.4.19-2/
config, patches, vmlinux and zImage of kernel 2.4.21-rc6
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.4.21-rc6
config, vmlinux and zImage of kernel 2.6.0-test9 (is patched but patches not on website)
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.6.0-test9/

There are even tools for cross compiling
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/cross/
and
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.4.21-rc6/000-cross_compile.diff

>I did some 2.4 & 2.6 kernel, intuiting parameters, but I'd like to know
>what is correct on a real machine and see if I missed some hw parameters
>on my emulated hardware.

Success and thanks,
(ps. If you reply could you send a cc to nldudok1 at olifantasia dot com, I only read the qemu archive list once in a while)
Martin