qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win32 usermode only network possible? [was: multiple VM

From: Joe Batt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win32 usermode only network possible? [was: multiple VMs]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:16:23 -0500

When NATing, you don't have to match the original source port, so we
should be able to have a NAT run in a non root mode (if source port <
1024, use a different source port).

Before I spent so much time looking for it today, I would have expected
that there was a userspace NAT program available (something that spoke
the TUN stream format perhaps), but I didn't see anything.  (TUN stream
format would have been cool, because it QEMU already speaks that, but it
would have been slower.)  I would expect the TCP packet to TCP socket
mapping to be the hard part.  UDP should be easy.

Wont we also need a customized DHCP server to server up IP addresses and
DNS servers?

I would think that the goal is that you can 'qemu -hda somepartition' or
'qemu -cdrom someiso' and have a running NATed machine without any host
configuration.

Joe