qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking

From: Arne Bernin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 13:45:04 +0200

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 05:09, Jim C. Brown wrote:

Hi Jim,

> I recommend using vde by Renzo Davoli instead of the default tuntap.
> I am able to network 2 instances of windows 98 (in separate qemu's) and
> minix 2.0.4 (in a hand-modified bochs). It worked without a hitch, and all
> the machines are on the same subnet.
>
> You still need forwarding to let the virtual machines see the lan or the
> internet, however. The plus with vde is that you don't need to set up routing
> for all these different tunN devices. (I use the Shorewall firewall, and using
> tun was a pain...vde means I just have to set up routing and masquerading
> for tap0, instead of for tun0, tun1, tun2, ...)

may you tell me how you set up your vde network ? I downloaded vde,
installed it, bootet 2 qemus (on the same subnet) and tried to ping each
other... I does not work, but i can ping the host they run on using a
tap0 device, and see the who-has... arp stuff while running tcpdump on
tap0. So it would be very interesting how you configured your vde_switch
qemu setup for multiple machines on the same vde_switch.

thanks,
          arne