qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using ISA-PNP for resource management

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using ISA-PNP for resource management
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:34:03 +0200

Matthew Mastracci wrote:
I was looking at how much work it would take to switch to using ISA-PNP
for resource management.  I believe that it might simplify some of the
QEMU internals, as well as make things like having multiple
network/other devices much easier.  It may make moving to PCI (or having
an option to boot with either ISAPNP or PCI on the fly) much easier.

For anyone interested, the ISAPNP spec page is at:

 http://osdev.neopages.net/docs/PNP-ISA-v1.0a.pdf?the_id=54

I believe the best way to implement ISA-PNP would be for each device to
register an ISA-PNP context, then add specific resource requirements to
the context as necessary.  The ISAPNP manager would then interact with
the operating system and call the isapnp_configure method whenever the
OS changes the setup.

Perhaps something like this.  I would imagine that the ISAPNP resource
manager would clear the IO port range back to the default IO port
manager before calling the *_isapnp_configure routine:

OK for ISAPNP, but it should just indicate what is the hardcoded configuration. I don't want to use it to set the exact ioports and irqs. Moreover PCI is about to be integrated in QEMU, so it may not be worth the effort.

Fabrice.