qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 9 x86 installation?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 9 x86 installation?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 18:03:12 +0200

I just commited new fixes. Now the hardware scan does not hang and the OS boot goes a few log lines further. The remaining problem may be PCI related (I am not sure whether Solaris x86 can boot without PCI).

Fabrice.

Pavel Janík wrote:

But only a little bit further. The situation is the same for Solaris 9 x86
and Solaris 10 x86, so I'll describe it together:

QEMU (current CVS):

/tmp/QEMU/bin/qemu -boot d -cdrom Solaris-10-x86/sol-10-install-b54-x86.iso -hda hda.img -m 256 -fda floppy.img
Solaris now boots, but when you press F2 to continue (with full device
scan), it will end up with

Scanning: Windows Sound System Compatible

thus you have to reboot and do Specific Scan (F3) instead. Disable all
devices except sound related (ie. Windows Sound System Compatible and ADS
Sound Blaster) and continue.

Then you mark CD as boot device and continue.

http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/Solaris-10-x86-boot.png

But this is everything. Installation process stops here. For both 9 and 10.

In one of several tries, Solaris installation program also printed No RTC
date!? to the screen:

http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/Solaris-10-x86-no-RTC-date.png