qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Some trials about W2K

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Some trials about W2K
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:50:46 +0200

First and foremost : I am astonished by the quality of the work that went into qemu. Thuis is the firs time I see a CPU emulator actually usable for "everyday work". It might solf by major hurdle with Linux use at work, i. e. running proprietary Windows software on a Linux workstation...

However, I, too, encountered some issues. I saw the same problems as prevous messages reported :

- W2KSPx doesn't install (disk full, due to a lot of 1 MB in C:\WINNT\Security)
- W2K (no SP) more or less installs (disk full after installation, but that can be cured ...). SP4 update doesn't install.
- Timeshift of 3 hours (I am also living in France).

Furthermore, I have to report that, whatever way I tried, I failed to install some software :

- Office 97 : fails immediately with an error related to not being able to read a .stf file in the CDROM (this happens whether I use a CDROM image or the real device)
- mozilla : installation fails during the final install.
- OpenOffice.org : fails "silently" (no error message, but no installation either.

There might be a small but subtle bug in the virtual machine code ?

Furthet thoughs about the virtual machine : I *think* that some improvements can vbe made re: usability. In particular, I wouldn't be adverse to a cleaner solution to networking (tun works, but is awkward). I'll write them after a bit more elaboration.

Sincerely,

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier