qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing RTC from UTC to local time

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing RTC from UTC to local time
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:53:43 +0200

   From: Bartosz Fabianowski <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:32:26 +0200

This is multi-reply.

   > Attached is a revised patch. With this patch, the default time zone
   > for the RTC is the local time zone of the host. If the command line
   > option "-utc" is specified, the time zone changes to UTC.

I vote against this change. It is nonsense to have local time in UTC
because then when you work on the system that has TZ1 time in BIOS and you
work in TZ2, you can't set your time accordingly, because you must know the
TZ1 vs. TZ2 offset. It *should* be enough to know your own timezone to set
the correct date and time.

On the other hand, I agree that having the possibility to change CMOS time
to local could be handy for those who use broken systems like Microsoft
Windows is.