qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] re: Windows XP status

From: Rupert Edgar
Subject: [Qemu-devel] re: Windows XP status
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:23:11 +0100

Hi,

I have successfully installed Windows XP Pro from the MSDN cd using a
cvs checkout yesterday (15 June 2004).  The system is Debian testing and
qemu is compiled with gcc-3.3.

I make an image of the cd to winxp.iso.  The hard drive is 4Gb.

I then run qemu -hda xp.hd0 -cdrom winxp.iso -m 128 -pci -boot d

and run the install first part of the install.  When it reboots:

qemu -hda xp.hd0 -cdrom winxp.iso -m 128 -pci

and complete the rest of the install.  When finished shutdown and run
with -cirrusvga this time:

qemu -hda xp.hd0 -m 128 -pci -cirrusvga

The boot screen looks a bit funny, but it gets into windows and detects
the new graphics card, which works fine, once you change the graphics
mode to something other than 640 x 480 8 colours :)

All the best.

Rupert Edgar