qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Clarification about qemu-fast (was segfaults in fc1)

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Clarification about qemu-fast (was segfaults in fc1)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:22:26 -0700

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 09:50, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> BTW if you are using the Windows port, you might be better off using
> -dummy-net
> or -user-net ... I vaguely recall that one of the reasons -user-net was
> introduced was because it was so hard to set up networking with qemu when
> Windows was the host OS.

The main reasons for -user-net are
to:

1) Create no-configuration-required networking. Any guest OS which is
set up to collect IP via DHCP should automatically have access to the
network when run under QEMU (assuming the host has network access).

2) Not require any changes to OS which necessitate root access. Many
users on Windows are not admin on their own machines, due to corporate
network policies.

One of these days we will see a autorun QEMU included on Knoppix disk
which will load up Knoppix on insertion into any Windows PC.