qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU pcnet 6/28 patch against 6/30 CVS - not workin

From: Brad Watson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU pcnet 6/28 patch against 6/30 CVS - not working?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:57:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Anthony,

The patch installed and compiled cleanly on my
slackware based 9.x box. I experimented a little bit
with it and made the following "quick-n-dirty" cursory
comparison beteen the QEMU realtek-8029 and pcnet
"cards" via an scp of 10MB file between host & guest:

openbsd x86 3.5:
  pcnet: 238kb/s "average."
  realtek-8029: 276kb/s "average."

freebsd x86 5.2.1:
  pcnet: 289kb/s "average."
  realtec-8029: 262kb/s "average"

netbsd x86 1.6.1:
  pcnet: no data (hangs). note: machid is getting set
now, ping works, but little else appears to....
  realtec-8029: 320kb/s "average" note: occasional
console message: ne2: remote transmit DMA failed to
complete

I'm interested in experimenting w/ adding an etherboot
rom to your pcnet code, and a tftp server into the
slirp code to pass the -kernel and -initrd parameter
arguments to a network boot client via tftp.  Can you
give me any quick pointers on hooking the rom into
your code ?

--- Antony T Curtis <address@hidden>

name=qemu-pcnet.patch3.gz