qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sound and MinGW problems on Windows host

From: Tomasz B±tor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sound and MinGW problems on Windows host
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:51:24 +0200

Witam,
Dnia Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:08:42PM +0200 Sylvain Petreolle napisal(a):

> I have the same configuration here (WinXP Home host / Freedos guest).
> It plays modules in ScreamTracker as if they were open in Winamp.
> (sound is mono though ;)
> Make sure you have correct setup for adress/irq/dma/hdma

Could you tell me the difference between dma and hdma? In DOS-times
I wasn't using PC ;). Now in setups I use 220h/irq 5/dma 5

> and try to change the software, some use still unimplemented DSP commands.

I use QEMU for watching demos, so the sound players differ very much.
I'm surprised though that some standard stuff like MIDAS also cause
trouble, but there're some experiments ahead of me ;)

> > 1. Sound is very choppy. And I mean _very_. It's not usable at all.
> > Under Linux there's no problem.
> > 2. Sound only works at 22050 Hz, setting 44100 make it go silent.
>
> Make sure you applied sound patch to enable it in MinGW
> and check the output of configure.

After a "few" tries I finally compiled it with sound and console support in
windows, but there're still strange trouble like those above. Sound chopping
is still there (I read somewhere on Bochs' forum that this problem is
known to them too. Windows? SDL?), but in some cases the higher frequency,
the lesser the problem is. On 44100 it's like 2 seconds smooth, 3/4 second
garbled, 2 seconds smooth, 3/4 second garbled and so on (more or less).
On 22050 there're 0.1s "chops" all the time, it's not smooth at all.

I have one more problem in 07.04 version on windows: full screen doesn't
work. QEMU just quits.

Both sound and fullscreen problems are not present when I run QEMU (from
the same sources and patches) under linux.

Anyway, thanx for your answer. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the developers
to make QEMU better for an usual user ;)

t.

--
  Tomasz BÄ…tor  e-mail: address@hidden  ICQ: 101194886