qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Reducing X communication bandwidth

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Reducing X communication bandwidth
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:16:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Julian Seward wrote:
> Exactly -- I got the idea from VNC.  First I noticed that using qemu
> just as a remote X client gave appalling performance *but* when you
> run it on a remote VNC server and connect with vncviewer, the results
> is quite usable.  That immediately suggests that vnc found a lot of
> redundant screen updates and did not bother to send them over the
> network, and at that point I started hacking :-)

Not so. VNC does not yet find anything redundant. It just sends what vl.c
tells it to send. The problem more likely lies in SDL in that it does not
update the regions of the screen which have to be updated, but more than
that. Or maybe it is too eager to update so it sends much too often the
updated regions.

Ciao,
Dscho