qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:42:03 -0400

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:31:57PM +0200, Adrian Smarzewski wrote:
> 1) virtual network is still not working for me :/
> 2) do we really need all samba installation and configuration, windows
> networking, users, passwords, just to share some files?
> 3) maybe we can find a way to boot guest os from this emulated drive
> without .img files? resizing it is not very comfortable and reiserfs is
> better than fat/ntfs.
>
> - --
> Pozdrowienia
> Adrian Smarzewski

1) and 2) are satified with a built-in qemu ftp server.

3) does need a hack (even a builtin SMB/CIFS server wouldn't work as we'd need
to emulate a physical disk). This is extremely tricky tho.

As for resizing disk images, that could be solved if we had our own version of
mkfile (the DOSMinix disk image maker, which can resize disk images as well as
create them, without any data loss (ok if you shrink an image you lose the data
at the end of it, but otherwise there is no data loss)). I think mkfile is
open-source so it should be easy to port to qemu. I should also point out that
mkfile seems to work on raw disk images.