qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Performances on Mac OS X

From: Laurent Amon
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Performances on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:07:34 +0200

Hello,

Just to let you know that I have been benchmarking with linux-test/nbench on my
Titanium G4/400 and that I have been able to sqeeze a few percents (some 5%) of
performance by compiling with -mcpu=7400 wirth GCC 3.3. This is the only flag
that seems useful.
I have also tried -mpowerpc-gpopt, -mpowerpc-gfxopt, -falign-loops,
-funroll-loops, -fnew-ra, -ftracer.

When compiling with -finline-functions, the generated i386-softmmu/op.h is bad,
and if you do not use it do compile dyngen, there is no improvement.
-Os actually decreases performance and I have not been able to generate a
profiled  executable with -fprofile-arcs.

Owners of PPC7450 or of G5 should try the relevant switch.

I was wondering whether the implementation of qemu is tied to gcc or if it might
be interesting to try to compile using IBM's compiler, which is able to generate
Altivec code...

Lga.