qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Keyboard patch for windows

From: Laurent Amon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Keyboard patch for windows
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:05:16 +0200

Selon Erik Karlsson <address@hidden>:

> I agree that it is unclean to have native windows code in an SDL driver.
> It would of course be better to have a separate keyboard driver for
> windows. The problem is that the qemu architecture does not allow
> separate drivers for keyboard, mouse and display. This makes a windows
> driver just for the keybord impossible. A windows driver would then need
> to implement keyboard, mouse and display natively on windows.

There are a few things I'm not happy with with the SDL keyboard implementation
(as well as video, when it comes to Quartz). The mac keyboard is quite fubarred
(only letters and keypad numbers are correct). I posted on the list a patch (or
rather, a modified version of one somebody else posted), but I am still not
happy with it :
- I can't seem to map to a 104 keys windows keyboard (having Command as Windows
key, and I am missing the key next to the left shift (<> on my french keyboard)
but that seems rather a Windows problem as I am using a Win98 first edition.
- I cannot differentiate between left/right modifier keys, but to do so, one
would need to go through low level Carbon interfaces, if I understand
correctly).

On the video side, SDL plays rather liberally with fade-in fade-out when
switching video modes, and since it always goes back to native mode in-between,
and seems to double the changes when using 2 screens, I can just type
Ctrl-Shift-f and go get a coffee. Add to that host 16-bit mode gives wrong
colors (SDL 1.2.7, macos X.3.4) and that it is very easy to crash in windowed
mode, I'd say getting off the SDL code might be considered at some point unless
we want to patch it (there is a Carbon interface for Bochs we might try to
reuse, for instance).

Anyway, one can live with it for now.

Lga.