qemu-devel

[PROBLEM FOUND] qemu-arm on FC2 (was: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM in big endian

From: Lennert Buytenhek
Subject: [PROBLEM FOUND] qemu-arm on FC2 (was: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM in big endian mode?)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:59:15 +0200

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 03:55:07PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

>   <...>
> > Just checked, and indeed, LE binaries segfault too.
>   <...>
> > So it looks like it (might have) worked in the past but broke somewhere
> > between then and now.
>
> Are you using a newer glibc now than the one you were using before?

Yes.  Now I'm using Fedora Core 2, but Red Hat 9 back then, I think.

I just found some time for some more testing, and it's FC2's noexecstack
messing up in this particular case.  If I create, using gcc 2.95.3 and
glibc 2.1.3 vanilla, a static ARM little-endian "Hello world" binary, and
run it with qemu-arm latest CVS, it works if I specify -Wl,-z,execstack
when linking qemu-arm, and crashes with sig11 if I do not.

--L