qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:56:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Probably a lot of CPU is spend on decompressing
in CLOOP driver. Maybe it could be possible to
do decompression natively and not under emulated
CPU.

You can start with an exercise. Setup CLOOP on
your host (e.g. run Knoppix natively), then run
another Knoppix inside Qemu, but give it access
to your CLOOP device as an ide drive:
  qemu ... -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda /dev/<your cloop>
Now try to use your host cloop device inside Qemu.
E.g. mount it instead of guest cloop:
  mount ... /dev/hda <guest cloop mount point>
Play with it. If the performance difference
is substantial, it may justify extra effort
to implement cloop compatible Qemu disk format
(I guess qcow is not compatible with cloop),
so it can be used on Windows.

I didn't try this, so cannot guarantee that it
will work. Contact me if you would like to try
this and need assistance.

Regards,

Piotrek