qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 0.60 Solaris 9 problems.

From: Juergen Keil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 0.60 Solaris 9 problems.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:42:51 +0200 (CEST)

Simon H <address@hidden> wrote

> --- Juergen Keil <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Simon H wrote
> >
> > > I managed to then install Solaris 9.0 but for some
> > > reason on certain long operations like:
> > > find / -name <blah>
> >
> > Works for me, running qemu on a Solaris 9 x86 host
> > and running
> > a Solaris 10 x86 guest os.
>
> Which version are you using, is it 0.60 unpatched?
> Can you give me your command-line?

Both 0.6.0 and the currect cvs version.  But I'm using several patches,
some patches to support a Solaris x86 guest OS, some patches to allow
running QEMU on a Solaris x86 host:

PCI-IDE with busmaster DMA patch (for Solaris x86 guest OS):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-09/msg00099.html

To start a Solaris x86 installation, I use:

- Create a virtual disk image, e.g. 4GB

  mkfile -n 4g solaris.img

- Start the Solaris 10 x86 installation by booting from the "Software 1 of 3"
  CD:

  qemu -localtime -m 512 -fda /tmp/DU.img -cdrom sol-10-b63-x86-v1.iso -boot d
solaris.img

  The /tmp/DU.img file is a floppy with additional Solaris x86 devices drivers
  (-> <URL:http://www.tools.de/solaris/itu/>).
  It includes an NE2000 driver modified to work with QEMU.

- When Solaris starts to boot, make sure to press ESC to enter the device
  configuration assistant (DCA).  On the first DCA screen use "F4_Add Driver"
  -> "F2_Continue" (install supplemental drivers from floppy) -> select the
  drivers for "Solaris OS 2.1.0" -> "F4_Done".

  A "Realtek 8029" device should be shown in the list of identified hardware.

- Select the "CD" as the boot device

- When configuring the video card, use the XF86-CIRRUS driver.
  The 1152x900 mode (24-bit / 16-million colours) should work.

> > > I get a mostly black emulator screen, usually with
> > > some part of the desktop panel still visible.
> > > I have to stop the emulator at that stage.
> >
> > Is that while a GUI (X11) is running in the QEMU
> > emulator?
> > Which GUI, CDE or Gnome?  Which video card driver
> > are you using
> > with the X11 server?
>
> Yes, I'm using CDE, with the Vesa driver.

I think there are three drivers available on recent Solaris x86 CDs
that can be used with QEMU: "VESA", "XF86-VESA" and "XF86-CIRRUS".

> > Is it perhaps the X11 screen saver, that is
> > activated inside
> > the guest os after 15(?) minutes?.
>
> It happens a *lot* faster than 15 minutes, less than 5
> minutes.  I get the "No RTC Timer", "No RTC Date"
> message at boot, so that could be something to do with
> messed up timing.

The "No RTC Timer" / "No RTC Date" messages are printed when the
BIOS' get date / get time function returns with an error (carry flag
set).  Bochs' PC BIOS reports such an error when the RTC CMOS clock
is updated at the time the BIOS get date / get time function is used
and the RTC CLOCK "update in progress" bit remains set for a long
time.  The BIOS waits a bit for the "update in progress" bit to clear,
but if the bit remains set, then the BIOS will eventualy time out and
returns with an error.

I don't think that the "No RTC Timer" / "No RTC Date" messages from
the Solaris DCA are an indication that timers inside the Solaris x86
kernel are messed up.  The Solaris x86 kernel does not use the BIOS
get date / get time functions.

> > Can you reproduce the problem on the text console,
> > by choosing
> > "command line login" from the "options" menu in the
> > initial
> > dtlogin login screen, logging in as user root (or
> > some ordinary
> > user) on the text console?
>
> Switching back and forth a couple of times between
> host and emulated machine I end up with the keyboard
> keys entering control characters (^H^A^A etc) in the
> emulated machine.  After a while even that stops and
> the emulated machine is completely unresponsive.

Yes, when pressing and releasing "SHIFT+CONTROL" to release
mouse focus, quite often one of the SHIFT or CONTROL keys
remains stuck in pressed state inside the guest OS.

With your example it was apparently the CONTROL key that
remained in pressed state.  To clear this problem, press
and release the SHIFT key, then press and release the
CONTROL key.

The explanation for the completly unresponsive emulated
machine is probably that you've send a "CONTROL-S" (stop
output) to it, due to the stuck CONTROL key problem.
Try to send a CONTROL-Q, and output to the console
resumes.

> > The java virtual machine included in Solaris x86
> > does not work
> > for me.  When I start "java", I get:
>
> Sounds like It'll be some time before I start worrying
> about a lack of JVM.

I've found out that the precompiled Solaris x86 QEMU binary
from <URL:http://www.thinksolaris.com/> does not have the
java problem.  Apparently there's a problem with one of my
patches to get a working QEMU on Solaris x86, a problem that
does not exist in Martin Bochnig's version on
http://www.thinksolaris.com/

> Can you tell me which video
> driver you use, or do you just use detected defaults?

XF86-CIRRUS.