qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on PPC

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on PPC
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:34:00 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Helmar Wodtke wrote:

> address@hidden helforth04b $ bin/qemu-i386 hf
> ()<1234567qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - exiting
> address@hidden helforth04b $ bin/qemu-i386 test
> qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - exiting

This means that QEmu tries to access memory which was not mapped, i.e.
something like *(char*)0x0.

> > Tip: Enable single stepping, enable all logging (or at least in_asm and
> > cpu) and then compare between PPC and x86 host. You should get an idea
> > which insn is causing the glitch.
>
> How? Can you point me to documentation? I dont know structure of QEMU
> well - as far as I've seen there are a lot optimisations for PCC. I dont
> understand PPC-assembler and dont like to learn it for this problem (I
> would implement a C-FORTH instead...).

If you look into target-i386/translate.c, and search for CF_SINGLE_INSN,
you will probably know what I mean. Just make the if() succeed all the
time (so that only one insn is translated into one Translated Block).

BTW, PPC-assembler is not that complicated. And I think it'd be good to
squash that bug.

Hth,
Dscho