qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] how to run qemu independent of X?

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] how to run qemu independent of X?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:16:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Magnus Damm wrote:

I do. All the time.

Hmm..

You need a Linux kernel that is compiled with serial console support. And to enable that you need to pass the parameter "console=ttyS0,9600" to the kernel too.

Hmm, I couldnt get serial console to work though. (not with Linux with solaris).

Qemu seems to hang on me if started with -serial stdio or -nographics (which also uses stdio AIUI).

You will not get any output from the BIOS or from the bzImage-bootloader though, they seem to write directly to the VGA hardware. And I am not sure if Ctrl-Alt-1/2/3 works correctly - I do however get a monitor prompt displayed the first thing... wierd.

Monitor as in a stdio '(qemu) ' monitor prompt, or ....?

I do no not think the -nographic option disables emulation of VGA hardware, though. An option for that might be useful for embedded programmers.

That would be very useful yes.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      address@hidden  address@hidden  Key ID: 64A2FF6A