qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP

From: Brett Bonfield
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:57:19 -0500

> From: Ronald <address@hidden >
>
> Le Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:18:59 -0500, Brett Bonfield a écrit :
>
> >> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:01:31 -0300 From: Andr? Braga
> >> <address@hidden >
> >
> > <snip>

> >> Try:
> >> qemu -L . -hda hd.img -cdrom SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso -boot d -user-net
> >
> > I created the hd.img with dd for Win32, then typed the command directly
> > above.
> >
> > With QemuInstall-20041111 I get:
> >
> > qemu:  could not load PC bios './bios.bin'
> >

> That's because bioses are now in a separate directory (called bios), the
> dot which follow -L means current directory, you must pass -L .\bios with
> recent installer (or -L "C:\Program Files\Qemu\bios").

It worked! Thank you!

The command I ended up sending was:

qemu -L .\bios -hda hd.img -cdrom SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso -boot d
-user-net -m 128 -enable-audio -localtime

For MEPIS, at least on my Win XP Pro system, neither the -enable-audio
nor -localtime seem to be working. The time is still off and when the
system loads I get the following message:

- - -

X informational - artsmessage

Sound server information message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't ve opened (No
such device)

The sound server will continue, using
the null output device.

- - -

Finally, does anyone know how safe it is to use MEPIS Installation
Center to install MEPIS onto my system. I do not want to end up
formatting my whole hard drive -- I want to be sure that Mepis only
installs itself into the 3GB I've allocated for it.

In the Installation Center I select Installation Utilities > Install
MEPIS on Hard Drive. It believe I should select the options to

Use disk: hda
Auto-install using entire disk

Is there any way to know that for MEPIS the entire disk is the 3GB hda
and not my whole hard drive, and that the rest of my hard drive won't
be harmed?